Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Musical Disorder

I had a thought the other day when I was browsing around Youtube looking for some new musical awesomeness that I think I have a problem. For some this might not seem that strange, so maybe you have a problem, too. (Food for thought.)
I think I have a Musical Disorder.
Sounds weird, right?
I mean, in today's society, what with electronics taking over our world, everyone is plugged in all the time. So it shouldn't seem that strange that I have a Musical Disorder.
Obsession is probably a better term.
Technicalities and such.
Let me list the reasons why I think it is a real problem:

  1. The other night I probably spent a good two to three hours looking around on the internet for new songs/bands to listen to. Part of that process involved looking up the website for the radio station my mom listens to (102.9 The Buzz out of Nashville, in case you are curious) and proceeding to look up all the artists I had never heard of before - including Alt-J, Young the Giant, Twenty One Pilots, and Artctic Monkeys.
  2. I have dated a drummer and continue to find band members extremely attractive. The moment I find out someone can play an instrument - doesn't matter what it is - they are automatically 100% more attractive. I understand this is a problem, but I can't stop it.
  3. I can happily listen to a song or album on repeat for hours or days with absolutely no problem. It will never become annoying, boring, or uninteresting. Figure that one out.
  4. I purposely bought a used iPod classic (used because I am poor) because I would be able to fit all my music on that amazing 80 gig box of magic.It lasted through my abroad travels and then died when I got home. I was devastated. I still have no idea what is wrong with it and it sits on my desk, lonely and begging me to fix it. Don't worry, Edna, you will be fixed as soon as I can afford it!
  5. I play my music ridiculously loud when I have my earbuds in because I like feeling as if there is a tiny concert going on in my head. My roommates have constantly scared the crap out of me because I had no idea they were behind me since I couldn't hear them. I am currently not the best at hearing and I have a feeling by the age of 50 I will need hearing aids. Whatevs.
  6. I am not too picky about what genre I listen to. I will admit that I am not a huge country fan - I realize that I am from Nashville and should love it, but this is not the case. I honestly have gotten a lot better at appreciating this genre, for example Josh Turner can do no wrong, but I still hold some reservations on it.  However, I like basically everything else: punk, pop, indie, alternative, metal, rap, electronic, etc. 
  7. I absolutely love going to concerts. It doesn't matter if it is a huge sold out concert or a little show in a restaurant or backyard. I love going to see live music to the point of craziness. My college has something called D-Day (Denison Day) and they bring someone to our college every year to play. This year I got to see Matt and Kim play. It was freaking amazing. I had only heard a few of their songs before, but it was so fun to go and see how into it they get when they play. I love the vibe of a good audience, the lights, the excitement, and the feeling you get when the concert ends and you step outside thinking, "That was probably the most fantastic thing I have seen in months." It's a religious experience of sorts.
  8. When I am walking around anywhere and I am plugged into my iPod, I catch myself constantly pretending to play the drums, which I have no idea how to play and bobbing my head as I keep the beat with the song. I have seen people stare and I have no shame enjoying my music. People should try it sometime, it feels pretty good to jam out when you are heading somewhere.
  9. Whenever I am in the car, the music MUST be on. I not only feel awkward in silent vehicles, but I feel like the ride is not as enjoyable. Because it's not. We can talk and listen to music at the same time. It happens all the time.
  10. I am your typical poor college student and I constantly have to battle with myself when it comes to buying music. I will basically tease myself and see how much albums cost and then have to talk myself out of buying it because in my head I know that I need to save my money for when I graduate - which is way too soon - but I have this terrible need to buy music. I can almost always talk myself out of it, but I have had times when it was impossible. I've even gone half and half  with friends before for an album that I wanted because I knew that friend wanted the album, too (The Great Gatsby album is an example).
So, yeah.
I'm almost positive I have a real problem.
I even write blogs about music.
Case and point: this blog.
Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment